A gas leak has the distinct smell of rotten eggs or sulfur.
Why Does Natural Gas Smell Like Rotten Eggs?
When it hasn’t been modified, natural gas is odourless and colourless. Unmodified natural gas is difficult to detect because it lacks any noticeable colour or smell. To make gas leaks easily detectable, Mercaptan is added to natural gas. Mercaptan gives natural gas that strong smell which is often compared to rotten eggs. This unpleasant smell is distinct and noticeable, so you can smell a gas leak in your home.
Why Is It Important To Detect A Gas Leak?
A gas leak may release unsafe levels of gas into the confined space of your house. This can be extremely dangerous as natural gas is highly flammable and may be explosive.
Although natural gas is not toxic, high levels will deplete the amount of oxygen in the air. A gas leak may cause symptoms of feeling lightheaded, drowsy and difficulties with breathing. To detect a gas leak, it’s important to be aware of the various physical symptoms that may affect you. Similar symptoms may also be noticeable in your pets.
Signs Of A Gas Leak
To keep your home safe, be aware of several signs that may indicate a gas leak.
- Smell of rotten eggs or sulfur
- See bubbles in still water
- Hear the hissing sound of gas escaping
- Physical symptoms in people or pets
- Dead houseplants
If You Suspect A Gas Leak:
- Take action immediately.
- Leave your house. Gather everyone inside your house and go outside.
- Do not turn on or off any electronics, appliances, or light switches
- Do not use any source of ignition, such as matches, lighters, or car ignitions.
- When you are safely outside, use a phone to report the gas leak.
If you have a gas leak emergency, phone 911. At A1Choice we have certified gas fitters to assist you with altering or repairing gas appliances. Contact us if you have any questions about our gasfitting services or want to book an appointment.
A1 CHOICE PLUMBING & DRAIN – YOUR OKANAGAN PLUMBING EXPERTS
For all your Plumbing & Drain needs, A1 Choice offers a full range of services:
- Heating & gas fitting
- Camera Inspection & Line Locates
- Water Heaters
- Sump Pumps
Contact A1 Choice Plumbing & Drain for free inspection and estimates of your plumbing.